Ok, I know we all get a little scatterbrained sometimes, and feel our head is in the clouds or we keep dropping things, getting bruises for just not being present in our bodies. Here is a simple visualization you can do anytime you are sitting at rest (not moving like in a car. not accidents, please!).
Try it and let me know what you think.
The fastest way to calm down and get grounded is to go for a walk in Nature. However, since most of us are not living in the middle of woods, with the freedom to simply walk outside at a moment’s notice, this is challenging.
I love this meditation. It can be used anywhere, any time. You do not even need to close your eyes, so you can be in the middle of a crowd and nobody will know you are meditating.
How to do this
It does not matter what position you are in for this meditation. You can be standing in a line at the grocery store or sitting in a chair. I do find, however, that it helps if your feet are in contact with the ground, so lying down is not as effective.
1. With your eyes closed or open, take a couple of deep cleansing breathes. Continue to breathe deeply throughout this meditation.
2. Image that your legs are like the trunk of a tree and roots extend from your feet into the ground.
3. Feel yourself drawing nurturing minerals up from the ground through the roots and feet, and up through your entire body, as if you were a tree.
4. Push the feelings you are trying to get rid of (like fear or anxiety) out of your body through your ‘leaves’. Just like a tree expels carbon dioxide.
5. As the feelings hit the air, imagine them condensing into water which falls to the ground and is absorbed.
6. Repeat this cycle of drawing up nutrients and expelling toxins until you feel calm and grounded.
7. Say to yourself “I am coming back into myself. Three. Two. One.” If your eyes were closed, slowly open them. If they were open already, you are good to go.